July 30, 2010

Denver Botanic Gardens

On a brilliant, not-too-hot Sunday morning, we took our out-of-town guests on a visit to the Denver Botanic Gardens.


When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the staff who were all smiles upon seeing Ruby. (Any puppy raiser can tell you, we SO appreciate when that happens!) They even had dog biscuits behind the counter – an unexpected treat!


We've spent the summer really working on Ruby's outdoor loose-leash walking (with varied success) and I wasn't sure how she'd do in this Magical Land of a Thousand Smells. Because we had guests, I was a little worried as I didn't want anyone to feel rushed or uncomfortable if things didn't go smoothly. But, as always, the doggies are gonna surprise you – oh my girl, you did me so proud, better than I ever could have expected.


She was fascinated by this fountain as the water raised and lowered, but she never broke her "sit."


She was very patient with me when I would pause,


and of course, from time to time as we strolled, I would let her explore the sights and scents too!



I had really been looking forward to seeing the Henry Moore exhibit, Moore In The Gardens. His monumental sculptures have been installed throughout the gardens and seeing them in this setting was sensational....


and nearly as impressive as Ruby's focus!


While in the Japanese gardens, she had an interesting sensory experience on the stone path. At first she walked tentatively, it felt very strange on her paws! But she checked it out and quickly became accustomed to it.


You know, it was funny; we were strolling through the Japanese gardens, calm, cool, quiet. Then she spied this little structure and it was the only time she pulled me – she wasn't seeking shade, she didn't want to sniff anything, she just wanted to be inside it. Was it zen, good karma, Ruby showing her spiritual side? I don't know, but it was just where she wanted to be. So sweet, one of those moments I'll always remember.


A nice break for cool drinks and some lovin'...


and a little while longer to answer some questions,


take in a few more blooms,


and just enjoy each others' company.


To top off a perfect day, we stopped in the gift shop and continued our tradition of amusing Ruby with funny hats!


Today's outing was made possible by the letters "G" and "L," without which you cannot spell "Gentle Leader," without which I really believe we would not have been so successful!

12 comments:

Heather and Ellie said...

Gentle Leaders do work miracles!

I love in the last picture she looks like she really is laughing at your hat!

Katianne said...

I LOVE that last photo of you and Ruby!!! Sweet post. ;)

Lori Jablons said...

You guys look like you're having a blast! I've always wanted to go to the Denver Botanic Gardens--it's gorgeous. Ruby is such a good girl. :)

Kari in WeHo said...

The gardens look like a beautiful place to explore!


Don't forget, we've moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Thanks so much for sharing all that!

What an incredible day!

I LOVE the hat pic!

As for the G and L...I didn't see yours ;-)

Alphini's Puppy Raiser said...

What a fun day! I love botanical gardens too...great idea for a training outing. Ruby looks like she's having a great time...she's really grown up! :)

Erin and Co. said...

LOL I think Ruby is a pro at letting you know about you and your hats! :))
But good job Ruby otherwise!

AVCr8teur said...

Awwww, what a good dog! She even took time out to smell the flowers. What a cool hat, by the way! :D Wish I can bring my dog to our local botanical garden.

Carly Findlay said...

Awww how cute is Ruby at the gardens.
Looks like you had a great day :)

Amy said...

Is the Denver Botanic Garden pet friendly for all dogs? I think Buster and Ty would enjoy a visit there!!

Ruby's Raiser said...

Nope, pet dogs are not allowed at the Denver Botanic Gardens.

Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said...

"G"otta "L"ove "G"entle "L"eaders!

Way to go Ruby & Co!