March 29, 2010

The Car Wash

I really thought this was not going to be pretty. As a kid, I was kind of afraid of the car wash, so I figured Ruby would think it was the apocalypse. I can't tell you how happy I am to report that I was WRONG! But let's begin at the beginning.

Even Ruby was embarrassed at the state this car was in. Utterly disgraceful. She can't even look at it. The time had come.



I sat in the back with her, just in case. She was totally calm on the approach.



We usually don't get the "Ultimate Wash," but we did today, no expense spared for our puppy's education! Just a friendly little tip – as exciting as it sounds, ultimate really wasn't much different from the basic.



Once we were in, the lights and sounds perked her up.



I had plenty of treats to reassure her in case she got apprehensive or frightened.



Just to give you a better idea, this is what she saw out the window. Scary, right?



Nope. Curious George actually liked it!



The sights didn't bother her but the sounds did affect her a little. And she didn't love the bumps, but that seemed to be more annoying to her than scary. Of course, full disclosure, we did go through half a bag of treats in the 5 minutes we were in there.

She was interested in the daylight as we exited.



Ahh, a clean car, a happy puppy, and another successful outing. Win-win-win! And thank you to Mr. Raiser for driving since Mrs. Raiser is still just a teeny tiny bit afraid of driving through the car wash. I know. Pathetic.

15 comments:

Erin and GuidePupPompei said...

I with you on the car washes, especially the ones with garage doors that close, while the car is being washed....*shudders*

Clive said...

Well done Ruby!

Clive was nervous the first time we went through a car wash but now he's great! Once he's not getting wet himself he's happy!

take care
Clive and the NSLM

Kari in WeHo said...

hee hee Curious George. Love that nickname :)

1000 Goldens said...

Oh my gosh, she looks so cute looking at the yellow washer things out the window! Honestly, I've never taken Farley to the car wash for the same reasons you were worried (he used to bark at the windshield wipers when he was little). Maybe I will try it. P.S. Car washes are expensive in Colorado!

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Pawesome Job Ruby!

Mom took one of the 87 layers of dirt off The Xterra the other week - I watched and enjoyed it!

Mom rekhalls when she was a younger pup herself how her Schnauzer Fluffy loved to visit the kharwashes!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

bowsnhearts said...

She seems so calm! Good work Ruby and her trainer, of course!!!

Dennis Novak said...

"...full disclosure, we did go through half a bag of treats in the 5 minutes we were in there."

In the spirit of absolute "full disclosure", how many treats did you get for riding through that scary car wash? (haha!)

VivaLaZimmer Podcast said...

I love it and am glad i found this blog

Way to go Ruby

Patty said...

What a brave little puppy, she deserves a medal ;)

naysiemae said...

I truly enjoyed this blog!!! We also have a Lab and he is very much a part of our family. Unfortunately, he doesnt do well in car washes. He wants to eat the fronds that hit the car. He is very protective of his family.

Linnea

Angie said...

Adorable! Great training idea!

Sproglet said...

What a gorgeous goggie, and it's a great thing you do, it takes a strong person to raise a puppy and then let them go.

I used to be a wee bit scared of car washes too...mostly scared that a window might be left open by accident!!

Liberty London Girl said...

bless! LLGxx

Barb said...

Hi, I have a friend who is active in the service dog organization. I sent her your blog address. Glad Ruby is so calm. (Maybe some human treats would help YOU cope better next time!)

Raiser Erin said...

This reminds me of the first time I took my first Guide Dog in taining through a car wash. My window was slightly down and she accidentally got sprayed with some water and soap. But she was fine and actually loved going to the car wash with me after that.