September 16, 2013

Don't Rest, My Sweet Girl. Run.

Dear Friends,

On Thursday, our precious Kiva passed away. She was 15 years old.

She was happy, alert, active...then, in a very short period of time, she told us she was ready. Calmly and without fear. She died at home, in her favorite spot, as we held her in our arms, together with a wonderful veterinarian who helped her to pass very gently, peacefully, and in great comfort.

She was adored beyond measure, her entire life, from her very first day to her last.


Kiva was diagnosed with cancer at age six. After her surgery, while I worried, she just soared ahead and healed, always her joyful self. During those months, she taught me the most important lesson of my lifetime: to live in the moment. She was a brilliant teacher and her student was a bit slow to catch on, but I learned to truly enjoy each day. Dogs are so much smarter than we are.

She made a full recovery. Hiking the Colorado mountains, swimming in glacial lakes and the Atlantic ocean, road tripping with us to 21 states across the country — she was our constant companion. Of the three of us on long car trips, she was always the best behaved!

Her spirit shines through the puppies she helped us raise for service dog organizations. She had the most gentle way of leading us with love, integrity, and grace.

Just like the pets in your own homes, Kiva was surrounded by love as she grew old. Her happiness inspired me to join The Grey Muzzle Organization. Grey Muzzle is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides grants to shelters and rescues nationwide to help homeless senior dogs. Grey Muzzle supports programs such as medical care, adoption, orthopedic bedding, and hospice. I encourage you to take a moment to learn about Grey Muzzle, and consider volunteering or making a donation to help homeless old dogs live their final years, months, weeks, or even days in places of love, security, and peace.

I wish you, and each of your precious paws, all the best.

Christine

13 comments:

Joanne Kappel said...

For those of us who get a chance to love a four legged friend we know they often leave us early and we are left with beloved memories of the gifts they gave us. We love you Kiva...

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

The next transport I do will be in Kiva's honor -

It should be this coming Sunday with PUPPIES and perhaps even a Husky girl!

I know she'll be riding along -

As I shared on your FB post, I saw her sign Sunday evening as I hit I83 to head for Brooks and Gator -

She made me smile -

Just like now -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and Phyll

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

We know how very special Kiva was to you. We are sorry for your loss but we know she had a wonderful life with you. Soft woos and gentle hugs.

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

Amy said...

Kiva was the best dog a person could ever ask for. You and she made the world a brighter place - not only for each other, but for a lot of other people and dogs, too. My heart's hurting for you with this news. I hope the happy memories of the time you spent together bring you peace.

KB Bear said...

Tears here. You wrote a beautiful tribute. I'm so glad that you had so many years after the scary cancer, and that your K had so many loving adventures with you over her whole lifetime. She will be with you forever - I speak from experience for my K is always in my heart.

Yes, sweet Kiva, run like the wind, swim in the lakes, and soak up the sun. Your life was defined by love, and that makes you and your humans some of the luckiest beings ever.

Tamara said...

It hurts my heart to think of you going through this. I wish you didn't have to, but I know Kiva will live in your heart forever. That is where she has always lived, really, and that won't change. The love goes on and on.

Kari in Alaska said...

sending you our love

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Anonymous said...

I love what Joanne said. It is so true. Your blogpost "Old Dog" was always my favorite, capturing exactly how it is. While we worry, fret and mourn, they live. Run free in the Big Green Field, sweet Kiva. We are all better because you were here.
Loving thoughts for your hearts to heal and fill with peace.
Jeanne & Bob & Rex

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Kiva was evidently a wonderful dog who had a very happy life with you. You have many wonderful memories to keep her alive in your heart. We're sorry for her loss.

ra husky said...

Soft husky wooooos,

RA

Sam said...

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs and love.

Monty and Harlow

May said...

That's so sad to hear. At least you know she lived a happy and loved life... all dogs go to heaven.

Kathleen Sontag said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Kiva's passing. I know how hard it is to lose such a special part of the family.

With great sympathy,
Kathy