November 3, 2010

Fix

One of the things I'll miss about Ruby (one of the everythings I'll miss about Ruby) is watching her respond to the word, "Fix." All dogs get caught up in the leash from time to time, and it can be challenging for a person with a disability to sort out a tangled leash. "Fix" cues the dog to untangle herself from the leash. Really helpful...and pretty cute.



Our service puppies are taught "Fix" very early on, Ruby picked it up quickly. Just position the leash behind the puppy's leg, then gently pull the leash toward you. The light pressure of the leash will cause the puppy to naturally lift her leg, and the leash slips back into place. I've gotten such a kick out of watching Ruby "Fix," I'll have to teach it to every pup I know, to get my own fix! There are few things more adorable than a puppy lifting her tiny paw to get that pesky leash where it should be.

11 comments:

Lori Jablons said...

Holy moly, I did not even know Fix was a command! So cool that Roo does this so effortlessly.

KatieEGriffin said...

What a perfect fix!!!!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

That is one command that Phantom does very well - he hates to have the leash behind his legs. Ciara and Thunder don't care at all. I need to work on that with them.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Oh how I needed THAT when Harley was here!

:-)

Sarah and Vance said...

That's what we teach ours too, only its "Fix it" Some take to it and others are like "What?" lol

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Cool! We didn't know that was a command, but we're quite impressed!

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Anonymous said...

What a great command.
Good job Ruby.

Rudy - The dog with a blog said...

How perfect, she did an amazing job! I've never taught mine that, cool command!

Rudy's Raiser

Pamela said...

Kewl! My husband is partial to cute commands. He says "Dance Out" when he wants our pups to get untangled.

1000 Goldens said...

Oh Roo-Roo...you ARE a good girl :)

Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said...

Great job Ruby - that's one of my favorite commands with our dogs too!!! It's so funny when people always want to fix it for the dog, and then are so amazed when the dog knows it himself! So convenient too! :)