June 15, 2010

A Little Pupdate

Well, hello there!



It's me, Kiva. I figured it was time to pick up the slack and post a quick update on the Squirt.

But as long as I've got the keyboard, first things first. This is important. Somebody, please. Where can a dog can get a good mini-bagel in this state? Back east, they always used to bring me a special mini-bagel on Sunday mornings – crisp and chewy, warm and fresh. Ahh, I could smell it as soon as they pulled in the driveway. I love Colorado, but boy do I miss that mini-bagel. Any ideas, please email me. I could really use a little nosh.

Now about our Roo. She's just a little guy but pretty strong for her size. She's still young and gets herself all kinds of excited about being outside.

So Ma and Pa Raiser (now that I live in the country, I can use the vernacular) got her this odd little snoot-loop called a "Gentle Leader."



HA HA!
Ahem. Just kiddin'!

If they had tried to loop my snoot like that when I was a pup, I would have bucked like a bronco and refused to wear it! But Roo took to it like a duck to water...or like me to water! So far, she doesn't balk when they put it on her, and it's made a huge difference on our walks.

You know, I'm staring down 12, a bit of a mature lady, not quite so energetic as I used to be. When all four of us go for a walk, Pa and I had to keep stopping every few seconds when Roo would pull and Ma had to redirect her. Start stop start stop...it was very exhausting for an old gal like me. I've got a touch of the arthritis plus I'm missing some of my original parts. But now Roo hardly pulls at all! The Snoot Loop is awesome! Two dewclaws up!!!



Like Ma says, "Good Girl, Roo!" And from one very good girl to another, you've earned it, pal!

11 comments:

oliolioli said...

I need to say Pupdate is my new favorite word!

Alphini's Puppy Raiser said...

Thanks for the pupdate Kiva, looks like you've got Roo well in hand (paw?) :)

Heather and Ellie said...

The Gentle Leader can work miracles, but great job Ruby for accepting it! The majority of dogs trying it for the first time like to rub it...on people's legs, hands, the ground, greenery....so, good job, Roo!!

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

How pawesome woo got to take ovFUR the post!

We always love to see your beaWOOtiful self!

Thanks fur sharing the dirt on Ruby Ruby Ruby!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Amy said...

Hi Kiva! Thanks for the pupdate. I'm so glad you're walks are going better. Sometimes is hard for the young ones to keep their enthusiasm under control. Buster and Ty are constantly in new places with new things to see and sniff, and I have to admit that despite being 3 and 5 years old, they still pull sometimes. We tried the Gentle Leader, but neither dog liked it and with Ty's short, fat nose it didn't really sit right on his face. We switched them to the Easy Walker harnesses made by the same company and SUCCESS! We're enjoying our walks a lot more now - just like you!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Good to see you, Kiva. Ciara has to wear that GL now too. She does well with it, but Mom hates the way it leaves stains on her snooter.

If you aren't too picky about your mini-bagels, you can buy Pepperidge Farm ones in the grocery store.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Anonymous said...

AND THE NEXT BLOGGER OF THE DAY
"KIVA"

GOOD JOB. AS FAR AS YOUR MINI- BAGEL, I'M LOOKING TOO.

YOUR A GOOD GIRL RUBY. YOUR GENTLE LEADER LOOKS GOOD IT MATCHES YOUR FUR TONE. HAVE A GOOD WALK EVERYONE.

AVCr8teur said...

So Kiva, do you like cream cheese in your mini-bagel? :P Your friend Roo is a good girl! I put the Gentle Lead on my dog and he still pulls.

Susan Gallacher-Turner and Michael Turner said...

Love Kiva's update! :)

Two paws up to you for keeping Kiva up and about with her walks. I know how hard it is when they get older and the temptation is to leave them at home. But it was the daily walks that we took our golden, Heather on that extended her life until almost 17! So good job to all...including Ruby and her patience with her new gentle leader.

Sierra Rose said...

Hi Kiva!! Nice to see you. You are an excellent blog hostess :)
I have the Gentle Leader too...in fact, the post I have up now (Woofs & Whinnies) has me wearing mine. BUT, gosh! We could only find a bright blue one...so I look like a bandit... :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

1000 Goldens said...

You are such a sweet big sister Kiva, we sure hope you find some mini-bagels there because you deserve it :)