February 17, 2010

Home, Where The Buffalo Roam

The other night, I was flipping around the channels and I stopped on a nature program. Kiva and Ruby love to watch how the other half lives.

There were lots of clips of all different kinds of birds and animals, and my dogs were enjoying the show with their Milk Duds and popcorn (KIDDING, I know that's bad for them, they were really just having a couple of beers), when a buffalo herd came on. Out of nowhere, Ruby rushes the screen and starts growling and barking at them. When a different group of animals came on screen, she stopped and watched calmly, just as she had before.

I had no idea that the buffalo was Ruby's arch nemesis. Like Sauron and Frodo! The Joker and Batman! Salt and a Slug! But I can't be sending this service puppy off to higher education with the caveat that she's great in public except if someone brings a bison.

What's a puppy raiser to do? Why, introduce her to a buffalo herd of course! So the next day, I popped the Roo in the car and off we went. Ah, Colorado.

Turned out, they didn't irk her nearly as much in person...er, in buffalo. I took some video so I could play it at home and see if she still got agitated. She saw it on my computer and was interested, but not at all growly. I'll have to try it on the big screen.

We also got a chance to build on last week's horse lessons, up close and personal. Warning for the easily nauseated: parts of this video look like I was bouncing down the range on a pogo stick. I am far more adept at juggling dogs, livestock, and a DSLR than I am yet at dogs, livestock, and a video camera.

BTW, those little peeps and yeeps you'll hear in the background? Prairie dogs.

8 comments:

Heather and Ellie said...

Oh silly Ruby! That's really interesting that they didn't bother her too much in real life.

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

What a great video -

She didn't know which ones to watch - or not watch as the khase might be!

Thanks fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: So what is Ruby's preFURred brew?

Kari in WeHo said...

isn't it funny when dogs react to tv?

The OP Pack said...

That was fun to see. The two boys here would never have been as calm as she was. We have mini-donkeys up the street from us and they go crazy when we go for a walk near them.

Farley's Mom said...

Milk Duds, popcorn and beer totally cracked me up :) You are such a good dog Mom to let her test out the buffalo in person. We enjoyed this post very much!

AVCr8teur said...

It's funny how animals react to tv. I wonder what they're thinking in their little heads.

Sierra Rose said...

You did good Ruby!! That was some wire fence though, hey? I get intrigued by the TV too. Stand real close, just watching....

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Fybromyalgia and other fun things said...

Ah but in the field SHE wasn't on her own turf, and also the Buffalo were further and not roaming. But as my Vet explained to me, as my 2 nuts kept going at the TV when Animal Planet was on. Is that the noise is amplified when it comes from the TV. And "they" do not have a good depth view so it seems like the image from the screen will jump in the house and attack their human on their own turf which is quite a different story.
Also dog and horse are a natural combination, just pay attention when you see or visit Stables there are always dogs with the horses, it calms the horses and also provides companionship, thus the horse doesn't develop a nervous breakdown. Well there are other place on Earth where they can't roam as they please...too bad