August 14, 2009

So, The First Couple Weeks?

Bliss! You know how the beginning of a relationship is. Could this angel do any wrong?



I mean besides the piddles and explosive diarrhea, rabid lunging at the food bowl, annoying of Kiva (eternally patient big sister), shredding of body parts (mine), and screeching like a deranged chimpanzee when put in her crate. But that was Week One. Week Two was much improved! My good girl leads me to the door when she has to pee, we cured the poo problem, and we've made great progress on de-chimping so the neighbors don't think we're waterboarding the puppy.



Our greatest achievement? Now she sits and waits for the go-ahead before devouring the kibble. I didn't think to take a "before" video, but she was like a starving lion cub on a wildebeest. Not anymore!



Magic? Xanax? Nope, just patience and training. The process involves lowering the food bowl incrementally and treating for calmly sitting at each stage. Ruby caught on very quickly, although it did take two or three days to get her to focus complete eye contact on me while she sat. (She kept glancing at the bowl.) Once I had that, we were golden; she'd wait for as long as I requested. Her eyes just lock on mine until I release her.

I think we'll let her stay here a little while longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how innocent she looks.She is adorable and so smart. I can't wait to meet her someday. You guys are doing a GREAT job with her!!!AP

Carly Findlay said...

That picture of her with the big eyes and nose is adorable. :)